Our Mission: Advise, promote and facilitate a locally led Christian boarding school and associated facilities in western Kenya.
Our Vision: To rescue orphans and vulnerable children, provide them with hope, and to equip them with the Gospel of Jesus Christ to empower them to impact Kenya and the world for His Kingdom.
Since our founding by Naphtaly and Nerea Mattah and a small group of men and women from Calvary Church, we have had a clear calling to serve the orphans and widows (James 1:27). When the HIV/AIDS crisis struck in the mid-1990’s, Naphtaly was involved with translating the Bible into the Suba language. Many people on the island were dying from HIV/AIDS and they saw Naphtaly as a man of God and asked him to take care of their children. By 2003 there was a crisis with the number of widows and orphans and something had to be done. In 2003, GGCC was born! In the humble beginnings of just over 100 students the school was started, by faith, without any school buildings, housing for students or funds. The one thing we did have was a visionary leader called by God to serve! Today we have over 725 students, a grade school/middle school and a high school, over 100 graduates and we are getting ready to see our first group of GGCC graduates become university graduates. Our hearts desire is to see Christian leaders from GGCC become Kenya’s Christian leaders of the future.
James Gleghorn joined the Gethsemane Garden Christian Centre family as the new Executive Director of the GGCC US Advisory Board effective June 13, 2016.
As Executive Director, James feels he has found the perfect fit for his experience in non-profit leadership and his love for international ministry. “My family and I felt God’s calling to serve GGCC immediately after meeting with the board. It was just so clear that GGCC was a family and there was a peace that we belonged,” says Gleghorn. “Since my first mission trip in 1990 I have been blessed to see God at work in my life and those I have been able to serve while abroad. I have desired for many years for God to allow me to serve an overseas ministry.” He considers it a blessing to be able to serve both the children of Kenya and ministry supporters in the United States and see God bring hope, healing and loves changed every day.
He brings a wealth of leadership experience from serving in senior-level positions in Christian ministries in the U.S. and Canada. James has had the privilege of serving with ministries led by John Maxwell, Ron Blue and Todd Duncan. Most recently James served as Director of Operations and Development for Kelowna Gospel Mission in British Columbia.
James, his wife, Tricia, and their 15-year-old son, Jake, live in the Matthews area and attend and serve at Ridge Church.
Nancy Taylor, Chairwoman
Jim Bronsink, Vice Chair
St. Augustine, FL
Roger Bosma, Treasurer
Greg Lineberger, Secretary
Lineberger Christian Counseling
Mark Ladnier, Immediate Past Chair
South State Bank
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Charlotte Office Space
1. The Bible (Old and New Testament) is the divinely inspired and only authoritative Word of God. It was originally given by God, is inerrant in the original writings, entirely trustworthy, and is the supreme authority in all matters of faith and conduct. (II Timothy 3:16-17; Matthew 5:18; John 10:35; and Psalm 119:105)
2. There is one God who eternally exists in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.(I John 5:6-8). I Corinthians 8:6 indicates the equality of the Father and Son, and Acts 5:3-4 the equality of God and the Holy Spirit. God is the creator of all things (Genesis 1:1-2 and Colossians 1:16). He is perfect (James 1:17), righteous (Psalm 145:17), just (Psalm 89:14), kind (I John 4:8, 16), holy (Revelation 4:8), omnipotent (Jeremiah 32:17, 27), omniscient (I John 3:20), omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-12), eternal (Isaiah 57:15), and He desires to know man personally (Ephesians 1:5).
3. Jesus Christ is Lord (Phil. 2:11) and is God manifest in the flesh (Col. 1:15) having been born by Virgin Mary (Luke 1:27). We believe in His sinless human life (2 Cor. 5:21), His divine miracles (John 10:25), His vicarious and atoning death on the cross at Calvary (1 John 2:2), His bodily resurrection (Matt. 28:6; Acts 1:22; Rom. 1:4), His ascension (Mark 16:19), His mediatorial work (1 Tim. 2:5) and His future return as Judge and King (Acts 1:11). (John 3:16; I Corinthians 15:3-4; I Peter 2:18-24)
4. The Holy Spirit indwells the believer, enabling him to live a holy life, to witness and work for the Lord Jesus Christ (Rom. 8:6; Gal. 5:16-22). The Holy Spirit brings about conviction of sin and the new birth, bears witness of our adoption into the family of God, and is the power behind Christian growth and ministry. (Matthew 3:11; John 14:16-17; 16:5-15; Acts 1:8; 2:4; 19:1-7; I Corinthians 12:7-11)
5. All men have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God (Rom 3:23). Salvation is for all sinners and can be attained only through the blood of Jesus Christ (Act 4:12, John 14:6; Romans 3:21-30; Galatians 4:4-7; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 22:20), which was shed at His death for all mankind, through faith apart from works (Eph. 2:8-9), and the regeneration by the Holy Spirit resulting in a new godly life (2 Cor. 5:17).
6. There is spiritual unity (John 17) for all those who have believed in Jesus Christ for salvation and have been regenerated (changed) by the Holy Spirit regardless of their church affiliations. Such believers make up the Church which is the Body of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, of which He (Jesus) is the head. (John 3:5-18; Romans 12:3-8; I Corinthians 12:13-27; Ephesians 1:22-23; 2:13-22; 5:23-32)
7. Satan is a created being, a fallen angel, and exists as a person in the spiritual realm, the once archangel who rebelled in heaven and was cast down to earth by God. His (Satan’s) intent is to counterfeit the work of God and to frustrate the purpose of God. Satan knows that his destiny is eternal doom in hell and therefore does all within his power to lure mankind away from the only way of salvation, Jesus Christ. (Genesis 3:1-19; Isaiah 14:12-17; Ezekiel 28:11-19; II Corinthians 4:3-4; 11:13-15; Ephesians 6:10-12; II Peter 2:4; Revelation 12:9; 20: 1-3, 10)
8. All the dead will have a bodily resurrection (Dan. 12:2), believers in Jesus to everlasting life and joy and happiness, while unbelievers unto judgment and everlasting torment in the lake of fire, Hell (Matt. 25:31-46; John 5:24, 28-29; Rev. 20:11). We, also, believe in the second coming of Christ, and that this “blessed hope” (Titus 2:13) has a vital importance on the personal life and service of each believer on a daily basis. (Luke 9:23; John 10:10)
9. It is the command of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ to Christians to attend to the needs of the orphans, widows, poor, sick and powerless in the society (Luke 11:41; James 1:27). However, the material good done to them is not ministry enough unless we present the way of salvation to them as their most basic need: Train a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not turn from it. (Proverbs 22:6).
10. Quality and excellence is the goal for the academic programs of Gethsemane Garden Christian Centre at all levels of education (primary, secondary and post-secondary). Further, we believe that this quality and excellence extends first and foremost to the spiritual well-being of the students, staff, and community. Therefore, the ministry of evangelism is a responsibility of both the local church and each Christian. (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:8; Romans 10:9-15).
Calvary Church (NC)
Christ Church Mandarin (FL)
Carmel Christian (NC)
Christ Church East (FL)
Gathering Church (NC)
Bensalem Church (NC)
Reformed Church of Corinth (MI)
If you have some questions or need help, please contact us.
PO Box 713
Matthews, NC 28106